Complex rehabilitative power wheelchairs are a specific variety of mobility device that are better able to suit the needs of patients who experience extreme difficulty moving or operating a standard wheelchair. These models are often more bulky than their classic counterparts, and can be operated by individuals who may have lost the use of their extremities. A wide selection of add-ons are available to individuals who've expressed interest in purchasing a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair, which are designed to provide patients with the ability to engage in normal activities and perform required daily tasks. Manufacturers recognize that no two people are the same, so most of these wheelchairs can be custom fitted to an individuals specific medical needs. 

The need for complex rehabilitative power wheelchairs has risen dramatically among Medicare beneficiaries over the past two decades, and modern technology is constantly adapting to provide better care and mobility to individuals who require this type of medical equipment. Individuals who've been afflicted with conditions such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injuries, Lou Gehrig's disease, spina bifida and many others often require the use of a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair. 

What is a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair?
A complex rehabilitative power wheelchair is a piece of medical equipment that allows individuals to maintain greater mobility without or with limited use of their extremities due to injuries, progressive and degenerative neuromuscular diseases and congenital disorders. These machines are often customized to meet the specific needs of patients and have the option to include a wide variety of features that grant greater maneuverability. Complex rehabilitative power wheelchairs usually have six wheels to allow for pin-point turning and better control for the operator. 

Does Medicare cover complex rehabilitative power wheelchairs?
Yes, complex rehabilitative power wheelchairs are covered under Medicare Part B as pieces of durable medical equipment (DME). Medicare only covers these devices when a patient demonstrates a medical need for such DME and will not provide coverage for recreational or leisurely usage. 

Do I qualify for a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair?
To qualify, your physician must provide a written assessment that stipulates that a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair is essential to meet your medical needs and maintain your regular lifestyle. If you are unsure whether your specific conditions necessitate the use of this device, consult your doctor or Medicare plan administrator to discuss what treatment options would best serve your needs. 

How much does it cost?
You will be required to pay 20 percent of the Medicare-approved amount while the remaining 80 percent will be covered by the federal health care program. This type of DME is often quite costly, and patients usually have the option to rent such equipment if it is more financially feasible. 

Where can I get one?
A vast array of medical equipment distributors enrolled in Medicare can provide patients with a complex rehabilitative power wheelchair. If your area is part of a Competitive Bidding Program, you may be required to rent or purchase such DME from a specific vendor designated by Medicare.