Automatic External Defibrillators, more commonly known as AEDs, provide a jump-start to a person's heart after or while they are suffering from a heart attack, heart arrhythmia, or the like. The automatic machine is easy-to-use, with computerized prompts that give the user step-by-step instructions for how to take care of the patient. However, for an AED to function, it needs properly working electrodes.

What are replacement electrodes for AEDs?

The electrodes for an AED are found in the electrode pads, which are placed on the individual's chest. However, most pads use adhesive that will wear out after multiple uses, so they need to be replaced to be effective. Replacement electrodes are usually bought with the pads and machine plug-in – this is packaged together to eliminate as much faulty interpiece wiring issues that could possibly occur. 

Does Medicare cover replacement electrodes for AEDs?
Defibrillators, as well as their associated parts, are covered by Medicare. Patients are responsible for 20 percent of the costs of the AED, while Medicare will pay for the remaining 80 percent.

How do I qualify?

Individuals who qualify for an AED must either:

  • Have had cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation
  • Suffered ventricular tachyarrhythmia for 30 seconds or longer
  • Suffer from:
    • hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
    • QT syndrome
    • myocardial infarction
  • Had implantation surgery that was not effective

OR

Individuals who

  • Had a defibrillator implanted in their chest that is now may not be working properly.

How much do replacement electrodes for AEDs cost?
Replacement electrodes cost around 40 for a pack of five. Different AED systems require a particular type of replacement electrode; however, so be sure to buy the version that uses the same systems as your AED machine.

Where can I get replacement electrodes for my AED machine?
Replacement electrodes can be purchased online from various retailers, including the AED Superstore, Medical Device Depot and the like.